Always Look Before You Lock
Always check the back seats of your vehicle before your lock it and walk away.
- Keep a stuffed animal or other memento in your child’s car seat when it’s empty, and move it to the front seat as a visual reminder when your child is in the back seat.
- If someone else is driving your child, or your daily routine has been altered, always check to make sure your child has arrived safely.
Keep in Mind a Child’s Sensitivity to Heat
In 10 minutes, a car’s temperature can rise over 20 degrees.
- Even at an outside temperature of 60 degrees, the temperature inside your car can reach 110 degrees.
- A child dies when his/her body temperature reaches 107 degrees.
Understand the Potential Consequences of Kids in Hot Cars
- Severe injury or death
- Being arrested and jailed
- A lifetime of regret