Infant, convertible, or booster seat? At NHTSA, we know that finding the right car seat and installing it correctly is no easy task. Then there’s the question of when to transition your child to another type of car seat. Follow these steps to help you through the decision-making process and keep your child safe.
Step 1 -> Find the right car seat based on:
- Car Seat Types
Learn about the four types of car seats.
- Age & Size Recommendations (from birth to age 13)
Follow these recommendations for selecting a car seat based on your child’s age and size.
- Find a Car Seat
Compare car seat makes and models using our Car Seat Finder tool.
- Car Seat Ease-of-Use Ratings
Evaluate car seat features using our car seat ease-of-use ratings.
Step 2 -> Install your car seat correctly
- Follow these car seat installation tips to keep your child safe.
Step 3 -> Register your car seat
- Don’t delay—register your car seat today to receive car seat and booster seat recall notices.
Step 4 -> Get recall notifications on your car seat
- Sign up to receive e-mail alerts about car seat and booster seat recalls from NHTSA.